We’re adding additional performance notifications and recommendations to help users troubleshoot issues and improve their Google Meet call quality. Specifically, we’re adding:
- Gentle notifications: When Meet detects a performance issue that is impacting call quality, you’ll see a notification bubble describing the issue and a red dot on the “More options” menu. From the “More options” menu, users can select “Troubleshooting & help” to find more information on the issue and troubleshooting guidance.
When Google Meet detects a performance issue, you’ll see a notification bubble and red dot on the “More options” menu.
- Tailored troubleshooting recommendations: Based on the detected performance issue, users will now see personalized suggestions on how to improve the quality of their call. This can be useful in situations where decreases in available processing resources are impacting call quality, such as your device automatically lowering CPU speed to extend battery life.
- Quick actions: You’ll also see one-click changes, which can quickly reduce Meet resource consumption. These can include switching settings to use less CPU or network bandwidth, or adding closed captions to assist with understanding audio.
Why it matters
Network metrics and CPU usage are currently available to users by going to More options > Troubleshooting & help. There, users would find a general list of recommendations — now, users will see a dynamic list of recommendations based on:
- Battery level,
- Bandwidth and network connection,
- Whether a user is presenting, and more.
These changes will help alert users when there are issues with their meeting quality and provide them with actionable recommendations to improve their call experience.
- Admins: There is no admin action required.
- End users: Visit the Help Center to learn more about troubleshooting video and audio quality in a meeting.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on June 1, 2021
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers