You can now quickly start and share a meeting notes document for your Calendar events.
|Meeting notes in the Calendar details view|
Creating a notes document from Calendar will automatically populate the document with the event information and attach the document to the event.
You can also add this same meeting notes template into any doc by typing “@” in the doc and using the drop-down menu.
|Add a meeting notes template into a Doc|
These features are currently only available in Calendar and Docs on the web.
Why you’d use it
Meeting notes are one of the most common use cases in Docs, and an effective way to make meetings a good use of time. However, creating, sharing and finding them later involves several basic repetitive steps, and involves switching between Docs and Calendar. The meeting notes feature is a shortcut to create such documents with some quick clicks.
This feature streamlines the creation, sharing and attachment of meeting notes into Calendar events.
In Calendar, this feature is only available to meeting organizers or guests with permissions to modify the event.
You can use this feature several ways:
- While creating or editing an event, you’ll see a “Create meeting notes” button next to the attachment section. You can click this button to create a new document, which attaches it to the event upon saving the changes.
- Clicking the “Take meeting notes” button in a scheduled event will create this document, and immediately open it in a new tab so users can get started capturing notes right away. In the background, this document will also be attached to the calendar event for future reference.
Once you make these meeting notes, we’ll automatically link back to the Calendar event from the doc, making it easy to navigate between places.
You’ll still be able to attach additional documents to the Calendar event.
Sharing the meeting notes
- If you click to “Create meeting notes” when creating a new event or editing an existing event, the notes doc will be shared with the attendees, including those outside your organization, once you hit “Save.”
- If you click “Take meeting notes” on a scheduled Calendar event, attendees will not automatically have access and we’ll show you a prompt to share in Docs.
- When capturing meeting notes for scheduled events from Google Docs:
- If you’re the meeting organizer: A pop-up prompts you to share and attach the document to your event. To give access, click Share & attach.
- If you’re not the meeting organizer: A pop-up prompts you to share the document. To give access, click Share. The document doesn't attach to the event.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: There is no end user setting for this feature. Visit the Help Center to learn more about meeting notes in Calendar.
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers