Admins for select Google Workspace editions can update their client-side encryption configurations to include Drive for Desktop. When enabled, users can synchronize their Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides files with Drive for Desktop on Windows & Mac OS devices. Synced, encrypted files will appear as shortcuts on Windows and symbolic links on Mac OS.
Support for Mac OS users on File Provider will be introduced in a future release — we will provide an update on the Workspace Updates blog at that time.
Additionally, this also allows client-side encryption users in your domain to encrypt and upload local files to Google Drive.
- Admins: This feature requires admins to update their CSE configuration (adding a new Drive for Desktop Client ID to identity provider settings). Visit our Help Center to learn more about these specific changes required.
- End users: Visit the help center to get started with encrypted files in Drive, Docs, Sheets & Slides.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on June 29, 2022
Synchronize encrypted files
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as legacy G Suite Basic and Business customers
- Available to Google Workspace Enterprise Plus, Education Standard and Education Plus customers
- Not available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Education Fundamentals, Education Teaching & Learning Upgrade, Frontline, and Nonprofits, as well as legacy G Suite Basic and Business customers