Over the years, we’ve added features to Google Drive that help you more efficiently find files and folders. In October, we launched a new view in Google Drive that shows all pending access requests, recent comments, and approvals for files to help you quickly see recent activity and take action, all in one place.
Today, we’re excited to introduce the latest series of changes that accelerate user productivity across new views in Drive. A new streamlined homepage for Drive called Home makes it easier and faster for you to find files that matter most. Specifically, you’ll notice:
- Personalized file and folder suggestions with machine learning algorithms that can help you get started quickly. These suggestions utilize a variety of signals, such as what files or folders you’ve recently opened, shared or edited, or what documents are attached to upcoming Calendar events.
- Filter chips to narrow down your search and find relevant files faster across Drive, making it easy to find suggested files by type, people, modified date or the location.
- A more modern design inline with Google Material Design 3 guidelines that helps you navigate across Drive much more efficiently.
Why you’d use it
The new Google Drive Home page will make it easier and faster for you to find the files you need and collaborate with others.
When you go to drive.google.com, instead of landing in ‘My Drive’ you will now be directed to ‘Home.’ If you would like to set your default to ‘My Drive,’ click on the “Change to My Drive” option in the banner on Home:
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: This feature will be ON by default and can be opted-out by the user. If a user chooses to opt-out, their default page will be My Drive. To opt-out, go to My Drive and click on the “Change to My Drive” option in the banner.
- Rapid Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on November 28, 2023
- Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on January 11, 2024
- Available to all Google Workspace customers and users with personal Google Accounts
- Note: The Drive Activity view is available to Google Workspace customers only