We just announced a new integrated workspace experience that brings Chat, Meet, and Gmail together on desktop and mobile. Read our announcement on the Google Cloud blog for more details on the launch, and stay tuned to the G Suite Updates blog in the coming weeks for information on its exact timing.
Earlier this year, we introduced Chat in Gmail on the web and Meet in Gmail on the web and mobile. With this launch, we’re adding Chat in Gmail on mobile and enhancing the collaboration features in rooms across both web and mobile. New shared files and tasks in rooms will make them an even better solution for longer-term projects.
Gmail across web and mobile will now feature four distinct components:
- Mail, which has not changed and is the same Gmail experience users know and love.
- Chat, which allows users to message individuals and small groups directly.
- Rooms, which are spaces that include shared chat, files, and tasks to help groups more easily work on projects.
- Meet, which features upcoming meetings that you can view and join.
|Mail, Chat Rooms and Meet tabs in Gmail on mobile|
Admins and end users
Why you’d use it
This launch will create a better home for work that intelligently brings together the people, content, and tasks you need to make the most of your time. It will not only integrate core tools like video, chat, email, files, and tasks, it’ll make them better together, so that you can more easily stay on top of things, from anywhere.
With a centralized location for your communication and collaboration, you’ll be able to:
- Spend less time switching between apps.
- Choose the right channel for the job.
- More effectively collaborate on project work.
- Search emails and chats from one place.
We hope this new integrated experience in Gmail helps you stay focused, be productive, and collaborate more effectively—no matter what your workspace looks like.
With this launch, you’ll also be able to open and co-edit a document with your team without leaving Gmail. This will make it easier for you to collaborate directly within the context of where you’re doing your work at that moment.
In addition, we’ll introduce several new tools to help you prioritize and stay focused. You’ll be able to:
- Assign group tasks.
- Get notified about task updates in rooms.
- Pin important rooms so they’re easier to find and access.
- Set your availability to “Do not disturb.”
- Better protect your time with status notices in Chat like “Out of office”
- See files shared in a room.
Admins: These features will launch to all domains with Chat preferred enabled. Chat preferred can be enabled at the organizational unit (OU) or domain level. We recommend migrating your organization all at once to avoid any disruption.
End users: Visit the Help Center to learn more about turning Chat in Gmail and Meet in Gmail on or off.
- Available to all G Suite customers over the coming weeks. Stay tuned to the G Suite Updates blog for information on the exact timing.