2 New updatesUnless otherwise indicated, the features below are available to all Google Workspace customers, and are fully launched or in the process of rolling out. Rollouts should take no more than 15 business days to complete if launching to both Rapid and Scheduled Release at the same time. If not, each stage of rollout should take no more than 15 business days to complete.
Including the Alt text option in the Image options sidebar of Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Drawings
Currently, users add alternative text to images in Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Drawings by right-clicking an image and selecting “Alt text,” which then opens a box for them to input the text. Starting this week, we’re making this feature more discoverable by adding it to the “Image options” sidebar.
Reminder: delegators must re-approve contacts delegates by August 2023
In May 2023, we announced that delegated users can manage contact labels on behalf of their delegator via contacts.google.com. As part of this update, delegators need to review existing delegates, as well as add new delegates. This must be completed by July 31, 2023 or delegates will lose access to manage contacts. Admins can also make these adjustments for users in their domain using the Admin SDK API to remove and re-add the contacts delegate privilege. | Learn more about managing contact labels.
The announcements below were published on the Workspace Updates blog earlier this week. Please refer to the original blog posts for complete details.
Ability to create spaces, memberships, group chats, and more using the Google Chat API is now generally available
Last year, we announced that developers could use the Google Chat API to programmatically create new spaces and add members to those spaces through the Google Workspace Developer Preview Program. Those features are now generally available for all Google Workspace developers. | Learn more about Google Chat API.
AppSheet Core licenses will be included by default for more Google Workspace editions, along with a new Admin security setting
We’re expanding AppSheet Core license access to additional Google Workspace editions and also giving Admins a new org-level setting, which controls how users are able to use their AppSheet Core licenses, including whether app data can be shared externally. | AppSheet Core licenses are already included for domain-verified Google Workspace Enterprise Plus, Enterprise Essentials Plus, and Education Plus users. AppSheet Core licenses will now be included for domain-verified Google Workspace Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Starter, Enterprise Standard, Frontline Starter and Standard, Nonprofits, and Education Standard customers. | Learn more about AppSheet Core licenses.
Improved meeting room suggestions in Google Calendar
To better optimize meeting rooms and foster greater collaboration, especially in a hybrid work environment, we’ve introduced an updated structured meeting room setting. The working location set by a user is taken into account for all room suggestions, and in cases where location data is unavailable, proposed meeting rooms will be based on frequently used rooms. | Available to Google Workspace Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education Fundamentals, Education Plus, and Nonprofits only. | Learn more about room suggestions in Google Calendar.
Introducing membership search and the option to add up to 50,000 members to spaces in Google Chat
We’re increasing the number of users you can add to a space in Google Chat from 8,000 to 50,000. We’re also introducing the ability to easily search for members within a space. | Learn more about new capabilities in spaces.
Programmatically read and write working locations for a portion of the day with the Calendar API
Recently, we introduced the ability for users to set working locations in Calendar that indicate where they’re working for specific portions of the day. Now, we’re adding the ability to programmatically read and write working locations for specific portions of the day. This update expands on the existing reading and writing functionality announced earlier this year. | Available to Google Workspace Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Standard, Enterprise Plus, Education Fundamentals, Education Plus, Education Standard, the Teaching and Learning Upgrade and Nonprofits customers only. | Learn more about the Google Calendar API.
The features below completed their rollouts to Rapid Release domains, Scheduled Release domains, or both. Please refer to the original blog posts for additional details.
Rapid Release Domains:
- Use companion mode to check-in to a Google Meet conference room, so everyone can know you by name
- Easily convert emails and links into smart chips using the tab key in Google Sheets
Scheduled Release Domains:
- Add or remove client-side encryption from a Google Sheets and Google Slides files
- Making focus time more productive with new Google Calendar setting
- Easily duplicate groups and objects in Google Sites
Rapid and Scheduled Release Domains:
- Assistant and Calendar reminders are automatically migrating to Tasks
- Experience better collaboration in conference rooms with new support for whiteboard cameras on Google Meet Hardware
- Monitor additional Google Meet hardware issues in the Admin console
- Use polls or Q&As during Google Meet live streams
- Improvements for client-side encryption in Gmail
- Customize error messages for Google Chat data loss prevention rules, available in open beta
- Paid appointment bookings now available in Google Calendar (Admin setting)
- Adding more flexibility to working locations in Google Calendar
- Scale meetings to 1,000 attendees, with 500 attendees being viewers, now available for Google Workspace Education Plus
- Improved media viewing on Android devices in Google Chat
- Extending long running queries within Connected Sheets
- Ability to create spaces, memberships, group chats, and more using the Google Chat API is now generally available
For a recap of announcements in the past six months, check out What’s new in Google Workspace (recent releases).